JOB TITLE: Early Childhood Education (ECE) Director
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED: A valid Washington State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment or at a time set by the Tribe.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Tribal Education Officer JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Tribal Education Officer (TEO) is accountable for the operations of Muckleshoot Child Development Center, the (MELA) Muckleshoot Head Start Program, the MECE Special Services Program and the Childcare Development Fund to provide instruction and care for children.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work which may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.
1. Responsible for the operation of the Muckleshoot Early Childhood Education Division by ensuring the quality of all activities and instruction. Establishes and/or implements all policies and procedures and industry best practices related to early childhood education services for the Muckleshoot Indian Tribe.
2. Exercises and is accountable for multiple budgets, scope of work and related development, approval and implementation responsibilities according to the Tribe’s Administrative Policies and Procedures. Responsibility includes delegation of budget spending authority to subordinate staff for which this position retains accountability.
3. Prepares and submits division budgets to the Education Budget and Purchasing Officer. Monitors and controls expenditures and presents budget modifications as necessary.
4. Responsible for the implementation of age appropriate curriculum, subject matter and developmental activities for all children served by the programs of the Early Childhood Education Division. Understands and can articulate and instruct others in the use of a variety of successful early childhood education pedagogies, and current ECE industry best practices.
5. Responsible to provide leadership, planning and coordination of Muckleshoot Indian Tribe Head Start program in compliance with the Head Start Performance Standards and tribal regulatory compliance.
6. Supervises, trains, coaches, evaluates and disciplines assigned employees; ensures prompt, courteous and high quality of services or product delivery to internal and external customers. MUCKLESHOOT INDIAN TRIBE CLASS SPECIFICATION The Muckleshoot Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer but does practice Indian Preference hiring in accordance with Public Law 93-638, the Indian Self Determination and Education Act. Per MIT Policies, employees must pass a pre-employment Alcohol and Drug test and be free of drugs and alcohol. Early Childhood Education Director 2 Updated: 9/27/17 - KN
7. Confers with parents regarding facility activities, policies, and enrollment procedures.
8. In collaboration with the respective program manager may confer with teaching staff regarding child's behavioral or learning problems, and recommends methods of modifying inappropriate behavior and encouraging learning experiences.
9. Prepares complex reports, statistics, correspondence, lesson plans and other documents relating to the early childhood education issues.
10. Reviews and evaluates division activities to ensure conformance to Tribal, federal, state and local regulations.
11. Confers with program managers in order to ensure nutrition and quality of meals served in all tribal early childhood education programs.
12. Prepares, writes and administers grant applications related to Head Start/early childhood education; coordinates and manages professional service contracts.
13. Ensures that protocols are in place and followed in all tribal early childhood programs that ensure the safety and protection for children in accordance with industry best practices.
14. Because of the Tribe’s commitment to community service and the well-being of its members, each employee may be expected to perform a wide range of office and field duties from time to time. Such duties may or may not be related to their regular responsibilities.
EXTENT OF JOB AUTHORITY:
NUMBER OF INITIAL DIRECT REPORTS: 8
SCOPE OF MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY: Director: Directs and maintains budget control for an organizational unit; reports to Executive level
HIRING DECISIONS: Yes
DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS: Yes
TERMINATION DECISIONS: Yes
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING FOR POSITION (required and preferred):
Required: Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a degree in education, childhood growth and development, business or public administration or a closely related field (eight (8) years of management experience in an early childhood education program may be considered in lieu of a degree), and seven (7) years of government or school administration experience which includes three (3) years of midmanagement or supervisory experience over an early childhood education function or program. Master’s Degree may substitute for two (2) years of administrative experience. Early Childhood Education Director 3 Updated: 9/27/17 - KN SPECIFIC SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES
REQUIRED FOR POSITION: Knowledge of: Principles and practices of the care and education of young children; Understanding of developmental and special education issues and needs of young children; Resources and services available to meet developmental and special education needs; State and Federal child care regulations; Administration of a child development center, Federal reporting and grant management; Head Start regulations; Early childhood curriculum design. Skill in: Working with community resources; Preparing and monitoring annual budgets; Working with young children; Computer and software use including word processing and spreadsheet software; Establishing effective working relationships with diverse groups and individuals; Communicating effectively orally and in writing with Tribal officials and managers, children, parents and employees; managing, scheduling, assigning, coordinating and monitoring the work of professional, teaching, and support staff.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The working conditions described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this class. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to walk, drive a motor vehicle and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
Meet the Team
WorldBridge Partners earned the Best of Staffing®Award for providing remarkable service quality. Fewer than 2% of all staffing agencies in the U.S. and Canada earned the 2015 Best of Staffing Award for service excellence. With satisfaction ratings more than three times higher than the industry average, the Best of Staffing winners truly stand out for exceeding expectations. This award identifies the staffing industry's elite leaders in service quality.