General Manager – The Brunswick School
The Brunswick School (TBS) is a top tier daycare and preschool in downtown Jersey City, NJ. The initial location reached capacity in just one year of operations. As a result, the Board of Directors approved a 10,000 square foot expansion in an adjacent facility to accommodate additional growth at the current location; renovations of this facility are nearing completion and the facility should open by early summer. Furthermore, TBS has just committed to a new 10,000 sq ft location in a nearby community. There are plans to open up additional facilities in Jersey City and surrounding communities once these two new locations are up and running smoothly. The Board also wishes to leverage the model to other businesses that cater to the needs of their clients, such as a bus programs, after school programs and extracurricular Saturday programming.
The Board is looking for a take-charge individual with an entrepreneurial flare who can build upon the current platform. The General Manager (GM) will report to the Board of Directors comprised of three individuals, each bringing his or her own years of experience and expertise that well complement each other. The owner, one of the Board members, is dedicated solely to the operations and will work closely with the GM on a daily basis. The other two Board members are involved in more strategic and financial matters but not in day to day operations. All three are passionate about what the aspirations for the business are and require the same passion in their future GM.
A convenient transition would be for the candidate to replace the working owner as General Manager of the current facility, allowing her to focus on the expansion facilities. If all goes well, the candidate would replace themselves in 12 to 18 months and have each of the 3 facility Directors reporting to him or her. At that time, the candidate is expected to focus on additional growth and related businesses.
The description below therefore on the General Manager position of the existing base facility which would be a transitory role for the successful candidate to become GM of the expanded operations.
The Business: The Brunswick School of Jersey City is located in a state of the art facility with over 15,000 sq. feet and is licensed for about 250 children. It cultivates learning for children from 6 months to 6 years old (through Kindergarten); opened in September 2015, TBS currently has 210 children. The preschool current staff is about 60 projected; the staff is expected to grow to about 100 staff when the adjacent location opens up and is at capacity.
The General Manager will run the entire operations. A Director of the Center is already employed and fully engaged in managing our faculty and curriculum. The hands-on owner will assimilate the successful candidate to quickly come up to speed. This is a unique opportunity for a self-starter to grow and run a business with support from its Board of Directors.
· Strong business acumen, leadership, drive for results, time management, communication and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks at one time
· Possess strong interpersonal skills, attributes and characteristics conducive to and suitable for dealing with children, parents, coworkers, clients and management
· Previous experience operating and overseeing a service related business
· Marketing experience especially in the service industry
· Extremely detail oriented
· Knowledge of general bookkeeping and Quickbooks in particular
· Capacity to understand and manage center financial duties
· Computer literacy, proficient in Microsoft Office
· A Bachelor's Degree or higher in Business Management or related subject
· Preferred but not required: 4+ years of management/leadership experience in a childcare program with experience supervising in business administration or childcare, and / or previous experience opening up a child care center.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule. This is not a 9 to 5 job. The right person will understand he or she needs to put in the time required to do the job right. Flexibility with opening/closing center responsibilities with the Director.
The Position: The Board is looking for a self-starter to drive enrollment through creative marketing, hire and motivate staff, control costs and maximize profitability. The right person will have tremendous autonomy to grow and operate a large business. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Maintain enrollment to capacity by implementing creative marketing events and maintaining an operationally excellent preschool
· Maintain operating expenses within budget
· Collaborate with Board of Directors to establish center budgets and manage to the budgets
· Create incentive programs to attract and maintain a high rate of retention and referrals
· Achieve center enrollment goals, by implementing strategies to generate potential leads, building community relationships and promote enrollment through participation in local organizations, events and marketing.
· Conduct tours for prospective parents while adhering to policies and procedures
· Hire and train new staff
· Oversee supply inventory and ordering process
· Manage general operations of the school including, but not limited to, facilities, vendors, and meal program
· Perform and manage other duties as needed to support day-to-day administrative operations such as front desk/reception and occasional classroom assistance when short staffed, but main component of position is to ensure operation runs smoothly which includes having adequate staff at all times and within budget
Compensation and Benefits for being part of our team include:
· The compensation for the GM role is negotiable, including a sizeable bonus tied to individual and operational performance. As the company grows, the GM will share in the financial rewards of the business through a significant bonus program tied to financial results and individual performance. The Board’s intent is for the GM to become their financial partner with no bounds to what he or she can earn as long as the business grows profitably.
· Comprehensive Benefits
· Community Outreach
· Professional Development as a direct report to a savvy Board of Directors Team and the opportunity to be part of a growing, financially strong enterprise
Worldbridge Partners has been retained on this search. All interested applicants are encouraged to forward their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet the Team
WorldBridge Partners earned the Best of Staffing®Award for providing remarkable service quality. Fewer than 2% of all staffing agencies in the U.S. and Canada earned the 2015 Best of Staffing Award for service excellence. With satisfaction ratings more than three times higher than the industry average, the Best of Staffing winners truly stand out for exceeding expectations. This award identifies the staffing industry's elite leaders in service quality.